KITE FEST APRIL 1 & 2, 2017

Moby

Moby - Attractions

THE LARGEST ALLIGATOR HARVESTED IN WEST BATON ROUGE PARISH ::

Hunter, Jim White, and his pals captured the gargantuan gator September 14, 2013 while trolling for gators on a river in West Baton Rouge Parish. Moby did not set a record in Louisiana - the books only note the animal's length, not their weight and the longest gator on record was more than 19 feet long. Moby did however, set a record for West Baton Rouge Parish.

Moby will be on display at the West Baton Rouge Tourist Center starting Friday, August 1st. Visitors and the general public are welcome to come and see this huge gator. A pictoral display of his capture will also be available for viewing.

"We are so excited to have Moby in the Tourist Information Center," said Sharon Stam, Executive Director of the West Baton Rouge Convention & Visitors Bureau. "We saw a story on TV recently about Moby. His owners were looking for a good home for him. I called the station and got the contact information for Jim White and the rest is history," Stam added. "We are confident that Moby will be a great addition to our marketing campaign to entice visitors to West Baton Rouge Parish and the Capital Region."

Moby will be available for viewing at the Tourist Information Center located on I-10 West at Exit #151, Monday through Saturday 8:30am - 4:30pm and Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm.

West Baton Rouge Museum

West Baton Rouge Museum - Attractions

How sweet it is. The West Baton Rouge Museum is the only museum in the nation that features the history of sugar agriculture from slavery times through the Civil Rights era. The historic structures at the Museum illustrate life on a sugar plantation from the antebellum period (1830-1860) through Reconstruction (1870-1880) to the Civil Rights Era in the 1960's all set on the same plantatin, Allendale. The four-acre campus includes five historic structures - the Aillet House, ca. 1830, a French Creole cottage that illustrates a small sugar planter's home; the Allendale slave dwelling, ca. 1850; the Allendale Cabin, ca. 1870, a dwelling for the newly freed slaves; and the Allendale Plantation Cabin, ca. 1960, a one-room Acadian style made of old cypress. The slave cabin housed slaves of Henry Watkins Allen, the last Confederate governor of Louisiana and the man for whom Port Allen was named. Each of the historic structures contain furnishings and utensils of that time period, and musuem guides describe life in sugar country. The Musuem itself, located within the parish's Old Greek Revival style courthouse, features south Louisiana history and art exhibitions. One highlight of the Museum is a 1904 22-foot working sugar mill model that shows the process of sugar production from sugar cane to raw sugar. The Museum, which was nationally accredited in 2009, is open from 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and from 2 until 5 p.m. on Sunday. Admission $4 Adults; $2 Seniors, children, Veterans, AAA members. Located at 845 North Jefferson Street in Port Allen. Phone (225)336-2422 or 1-888-881-6811. www.westbatonrougemuseum.com

Scott's Cemetery

Scott's Cemetery - Attractions

The burial place of African Americans in West Baton Rouge's history, the cemetery dates back to the 1850's. Located at the corner of Court and Commerce Streets near the Riverfront Development. For more information call Scott's United Methodist Church 225-383-2234.

Port Allen Locks

Port Allen Locks - AttractionsThe heavily used Port Allen Lock connects the Mississippi River to the Intracoastal Waterways, shortening the distance of boat traffic to the Gulf of Mexico by approximately 120 miles.  The massive Lock structure, built in 1961, has 90 ton doors and 64 feet sides.  A Visitors Center provides an interactive model of the lock, a wildlife management presentation and videos.  After browsing the center, visitors can go to the local wall to view tugboats locking through.  Hours: 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Monday-Friday.  Large shcool or tour groups should make reservations by calling 225-343-3752.  International visitors must be pre-approved.

Hero's Plaza & Statue of Gov. Henry Watkins Allen

Hero's Plaza & Statue of Gov. Henry Watkins Allen - AttractionsThe new Hero's Plaza, located across the street from the West Baton Rouge Courthouse, provides the perfect respite for a short rest for tourist.  The landscaped and manicured grounds are accented by park benches, water fountain, and a statue of Gov. Henry W. Allen.  Allen is perhaps one of the most important figures in West Baton Rouge hsitory.  Allen was an attorney who moved to West Baton Rouge in the early 1850's and purchased a plantation.  He studied at Harvard and traveled extensively in Europe.  Allen was elected to the Louisiana Legislature in 1853.  He served in the Confederate forces in the Battles of Shiloh, Vicksburg and Baton Rouge, rose to the rank of brigadier general, and suffered severe injuries in the Civil War.  Allen was elected as the last Confederate governor of Louisiana in 1863, serving at a time the state was in chaos.  Port Allen was named after Allen, who left Louisiana for Mexico in 1865, where he died in 1866.  The statue of Allen, sculpted by well-known artist Angela Gregory of New Orleans, was erected facing the beautiful West Baton Rouge Parish Courthouse in 1962.

Mississippi Riverfront Development

Mississippi Riverfront Development - AttractionsOffering a breath-taking panoramic view of the Mighty Mississippi and Baton Rouge, the Riverfront Development is the newest addition to West Baton Rouge's Tourism offerings.  A wonderful place to relax or have a picnic, the area includes a pedestrian promenade with special architectural paving, gazebo, viewing benches, a View Finder with details on the view, and ornamental street lighting.  It is used by the community for recreational and entertainment events.  On this site a ferry operated between Port Allen and Baton Rouge from 1820 to 1968.  Located on the Levee at the end of Court Street in Port Allen.  Open until 10:00 p.m.

St. John the Baptist Catholic Church

St. John the Baptist Catholic Church - AttractionsThis Gothic Revival style church was built in 1907.  Today it is the home of an active Catholic congregation, and is just yards away from the Bourgeois House.  The adjacent church cemetary dates to the 1830's, when descendants of Acadian exiles, first established the church.  A rectangular wood frame church, it features Victorian influence in the mixture of lancet and Tudor-type openings, along with the use of shingles at the central door pediment and brackets to support side door sheds.  River Road in Brusly 225-749-2189

Back Brusly Oak

Back Brusly Oak - AttractionsLong described as the community "bulletin board", the Back Brusly Oak is perhaps the most well known landmark in West Baton Rouge.  The cherished oak is believed to be more than 400 years old.  A majestic live oak with moss-laden branches and massive roots rising above the ground, the tree has become the town's symbol.  Some 25 feet in circumference, it was the first West Baton Rouge member registered with the Louisiana Live Oak Society.  It has long been a meeting place for residents, and the once old practice of posting community news on the tree has been relegated to a nearby bulletin board.  North LaBauve Avenue, west of LA Hwy. 1

Addis Museum

Addis Museum - AttractionsLocated in the old Bank of Addis building, the museum houses a collection of photographs, memorabilia and exhibits of Addis' history as a railroad town.  Addis was a railroad junction on the transcontinental route connecting New Orleans with the West Coast.  Built in 1920, the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is the only original central business district structure remaining.  The museum includes exhibits on the importance of the railroad to Addis, Mardi Gras and Military history with items from local veterans.  Located at 7821 Ray River Street west of LA Hwy. 1, the museum has limited hours.  By appointment: 225-687-4844 or 687-6333

State Capital Raceway

State Capital Raceway - Attractions

Welcome to State Capitol Raceway


State Capital Raceway provides fun and entertainment for fellow racers, spectators and their families. They love to make everyone feel welcome, so come on out and race with us! Located on Hwy 190 in Erwinville just west of Port Allen. Contact the raceway at www.statecapitalraceway.com 225-627-4574

Upcoming events can be viewed here: http://www.statecapitolraceway.com/calendar.htm

Poplar Grove Plantation Home

Poplar Grove Plantation Home - Attractions

Poplar Grove Plantation Home (1884) NRHP was built for the 1884 World's Fair in New Orleans.
Poplar Grove reflects the Oriental influence on Victorian architectural design.
It is located on North River Road above Port Allen. This beautiful private residence is open for Group tours,
private parties and meetings. Plantation dining and gospel choirs available by advance reservations.
225-344-3913

Splash Pads

Splash Pads - Attractions

West Baton Rouge Parish is home to four Splash Pads.
Port Allen Community Center - 749 N Jefferson Ave, Port Allen, LA 70767
Alexander Park - 250 Elaine St, Brusly, LA 70719
Joe Myhand Park - Addis, LA 70710
Erwinville Park - 5110 Rougon Road, Port Allen, LA70767

For more information, visit :: West Baton Rouge Parks and Recreation